Saturday, June 23, 2012

Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts (GF/EF)






Really???  Gluten-Free/Egg-Free Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts??  Is that possible??  When my son asked for these for his birthday (he doesn't care for cake), I thought, "Ok, something I haven't done before...  matter of fact I haven't seen anyone make a gluten-free/egg-free doughnut around here (the area I live, in general) yet..  is that possible?"  Although I guess I haven't done a lot of research on that one yet either.  So I was up for the challenge.   I was sure that I could come close, and I have to say, they turned out rather good!  My husband made the statement, "Hey, they look like donuts!".  Yeah, that was part of my goal. ;o)

They are deep fried just like a regular doughnut.  I used vegetable oil, since we also avoid using any hydrogenated fats.  I do not own a deep fryer, so I used a pot with a candy thermometer, so regulating the heat was a little challenging, but not impossible.  I did find that they cooked through much faster than a regular doughnut, possibly due to the lack of eggs.  I probably left them cooking a minute or two too long worried that I would end up with a doughnut that was raw in the middle.  I am sure that may have added some to the fact that they came out just a little bit dry.  I am going to hopefully try another batch in a week or so and see if I can get it perfect.

So, I am not posting a recipe yet, in hopes that I will have a great recipe up here in the future instead of just an ok one, but wanted to post the results of the doughnut experiment because I was so excited that they came out so close to perfect! Now, even though they were not perfect, I was still impressed, and so was my son who has not had any doughnuts for over 6 months.  Needless to say we had one happy birthday boy around here tonight!  Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment