Monday, June 18, 2012

Gluten-Free Flours


Buckwheat Flour
Kasha
Buckwheat Flour
Even though the name includes the word "wheat" it is not a type of wheat at all.  It is actually a seed that is in the rhubarb family.  In seed form it is referred to as "kasha" and you can find it toasted or raw, it can be cooked in boiling water and eaten as a side dish, like you would a pilaf.  I have tried this and really like it as a savory dish, not so much as a cereal.  My son did not like it at all!  In flour form it has a wonderful texture, very soft like a light or white whole wheat flour, when you touch it.  It bakes up lighter than any of the rice, potato or tapioca flours that I have tried.  Also at room temperature, the baked product is softer than when using the rice flours, which are heavy and dry at room temp.  This is one of my favorites to work with so far!  There is a light variety and a dark variety, at this point I mostly use the light since it has a milder flavor than the dark, it is more appealing to my son.  Buckwheat flour in general has a much stronger flavor than regular white all-purpose flours.  I compare it to a strong whole wheat flavor, that does come through as an undertone in many of the baked items.  My opinion is that I would rather have a little bit of the flavor with a much better textured item in relation to other gluten-free flours, that may be mostly flavorless, but produce very heavy baked items.


Masa Harina
Masa Harina (corn flour)
A delicious flour made from corn!  It is the same flour that is used to make corn tortillas.  If you have ever heard that corn has gluten in it, that is correct, however, to my understanding, it is a different type of gluten so most people who only have wheat gluten allergies can have corn gluten.  I know of a few people who have to avoid corn gluten as well as wheat gluten.  Many of the recipes posted in this blog contain a combination of buckwheat flour and masa harina.  If you are not able to have corn gluten, please do not use the masa, simply use all buckwheat.  It works just as well.  I use the masa combined with the buckwheat because the masa has a slightly sweeter flavor than the buckwheat so it seems to balance the stronger flavor of the buckwheat well.  I would not advise using all masa in a baked item without combining it with another flour.  The baked item will tend to be heavier, although it will retain some moisture.

Garbanzo Bean Flour
What I like about this flour:  It is very high in protein - a super plus when feeding an ADHD child :o), and it is great for savory applications such as pizza crust, the flavor goes especially well with it.  I would not recommend this flour for baked items simply because of the strong "beany" flavor.  Although I love garbanzo beans in general and also hummus, this flour is just a little too overwhelming in the flavor department for most of my baking.  However, I am going to try it for brownies at some point, I have heard that it works pretty good for that, but have been apprehensive about it due to the intense flavor of it.  I hate throwing out food - and wonder if that would be the outcome. I will keep you posted as I find out!
Quinoa in grain form

Quinoa Flour
Ok, so I am dying to try this flour!  I just saw it in the natural food store the other day, but didn't have enough funds that particular day.  It is a little more expensive than the buckwheat and the masa harina, but I LOVE quinoa grain itself cooked like a pilaf or made into a salad.  The quinoa grain, white or red variety, is said to be a "superfood", in that it contains complete protein, so it can substitute for meats.  Would love to hear comments from anyone who has tried this flour.  I am going to try it out soon and will post my results!

Rice, Potato, Tapioca Flours
I have found that these flours work well when combined with other flours or in a baking mix.  I don't care for the results of baked goods made with just one of these or a combination of just these three.  The flavor is ok, but the texture tends to be grainy, and the final product, when cooled to room temperature becomes very heavy and dense.  At that point, it is only good to eat if reheated, but even still, it's not quite the same as fresh.

Gluten-Free Baking Mixes and All-Purpose Flours
I do not use very many baking mixes simply because I usually have so many ingredients on hand doing everything from scratch.  Also many of them have the xanthan gum (or other gums) that I try not to use very often.  I have used "Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix" because a friend gave me a bag of it to try.  It contains rice flours, tapioca and potato starches, almond meal, buttermilk, xanthan gum, and leavening such as baking powder/soda.  This is not a mix that is acceptable for people with tree nut allergies or dairy allergies.  I did try it, and I admit that it worked pretty good.  I tried out the chocolate chip cookies that were on the back of the bag, and it was a decent product.  Still, for the price, I can make a larger variety of items out of the buckwheat and masa combination.  It would be worth the price for a special recipe that worked the best with only that mix it, or for a treat on a special occasion.

For the all-purpose flours, I have tried the "Gluten-Free King Arthur Multi-Purpose Flour" and the "Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour".  I am a King Arthur fan when it comes to their regular wheat flours, but not so with the gluten-free.  I found it to be WAY over priced, first of all, and the quality of the baked items was not so great that I was willing to keep paying the almost $8 for 24oz.  It is mainly comprised of the rice flours with potato and tapioca starches, so at room temp most baked items were very dense and solid.  The "Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour" was not a success in my book either, however I do know of a few people who use this for most of their gluten-free baking.  I found it to be overly strong tasting and still did not find that the texture was as mouth appealing as the masa or buckwheat.  This flour contains mainly potato starch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, garbanzo bean flour and fava bean flour.  I think maybe it is the bean flours that I don't care for in this one too.  Although, like I said before, I love beans in general, but am not having good success with flavor in using their flours in sweet baked goods.


No comments:

Post a Comment