Monday, November 5, 2012

Why Am I Doing This?



This is a blog that will discuss specialty diets, including but not limited to food allergy diets and vegetarian diets.  Six months ago I found out that my son was allergic to all forms of wheat, wheat gluten, eggs, peanuts, yogurt, and oats.  What motivated me to get him tested?  He was diagnosed with ADHD four years ago, since then he has been on several medications trying to find one that worked without the side effects of head aches, stomach aches etc.  We finally found one that worked...  or so we thought.  He had been on it for about a year and a half and I noticed that his growth had slowed way down, he had not gained more than maybe a pound in almost two years, at 9-10 yrs old I did not feel that this was healthy regardless that the medical doctors said "it is fine".  Also he was not sick with it, but his appetite was decreasing and physical/emotional violence was increasing!  My husband and I found ourselves every evening trying to control this violent kid.  This was not my son!  He went from a very happy child to one that was always so negative and violent!

That is when my mom gave me a book to read about treatments for ADHD that did not include medication.  She had just underwent food allergy testing herself for some health issues that she has dealt with for over 30 years.  The book was about food allergies (and some environmental allergies) that contribute to ADHD as well as other health problems.  It was an eye opener!  So I continued to do more research, and then decided medication was not the answer, it was a temporary fix to an underlying problem.  We met with a naturopathic physician who recommended the food allergy testing.  So for the last six months my son has been totally off medication and has cut out the allergens as well as taking fish oil and vitamin D and we have seen a total change!  He is happy again and excited about life!

This change was a huge challenge!  When my son first learned about what foods we were going to have avoid, he was devastated!  His favorite breakfast included eggs, and he loves peanuts and peanut butter and I do a lot of baking from scratch with the regular glutenous flours, so he was upset about what he couldn't have.  We had already been eating foods free of anything artificial (colors or flavors), nitrites, nitrates, and hydrogenated fats, so here are more things we have to avoid.  I could understand his frustration and disappointment!  But then, we discussed all that he could have and everything new that he was going to get to try out, what an adventure it would be!  "And mom is going to do this with you", I reassured him.

I was excited about this "adventure" and challenge!  I have many years of experience in the food service industry as pastry chef and chef, and have dealt with food allergies and specialty diets on a small basis before for others, "surely, I can come up with some awesome gluten, egg, peanut, oat, yogurt, and additive -free food that we can enjoy!" I thought.  So back to the researching, the experimenting, the taste-testing.  Yes, we had some failures!  Like gluten-free, egg-free brownies that came out looking like a pan of molten tar!  It tasted like candy made out of Oreos!  So the kids ate it that way, and reassured me that "it's not that bad" but it definitely was NOT brownies, and I definitely would NOT let them take that mess to school in their lunch! :o)  On the better side of things:  I have also had lots of successes with recipes that came out so good that even my husband and daughter ate it and raved about how good it was "for gluten and egg free...".

So, I am doing this blog to help you!  I have seen how this diet change has helped my son, not only in his health, but his outlook on eating.  He is starting to see that his diet may be different and challenging but it is also exciting - full of new flavors and textures, and he is being so responsible for his own eating.  (Even turning down hotdogs at a cookout at the school when Mom was not there to "remind" him, and sure, he still wishes he could have his old favorites every now and then, but we "remember" how he feels when he eats it and decide it is not really worth it after all!)

In the last few months I keep meeting people everywhere I go, in the grocery store, on vacation, friends of friends, or relatives of friends etc, who are struggling with challenges in their diet, whether it is by choice or by necessity,  and I want to help.  Some of the things I am learning will be posted here along with recipes that I have found to work.  Some may be my own creation, and some may be ones that I get from other sources, in which case I will give credit where credit is due.  I am still in the learning process, so this is just my way of passing on some of what I have figured out to you.  If you have something you have learned that you would like to share, feel free to comment about it!

I hope this blog will become a resource of recipes, cooking ideas, encouragement, and fun for you as you continue on your journey of Living Free from the foods that harm you! 

1 comment:

  1. This is such an wonderful page Chef! I've very excited to see what new things you can create that my family will be able to try.

    Tosha

    ReplyDelete