Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Little More on the Flatbread...

Since my son has had gluten and egg allergies, he has not had many sandwiches, simply because most of the gluten-free breads you can purchase in the store has eggs, or they are too expensive, or they are just down right disgusting and a waste of money!  I had researched some bread recipes online and in some magazines, and they all had eggs in them, but hey! I have a decent egg substitute to use instead of the eggs right?  Not so much!  The recipes I tried ended up more like a brick than a loaf of bread.  We ground them up and used them as gluten-free bread crumbs... Great for Chicken Finger night! But still no solution for a great gluten-free sandwich, which my son was craving, and frankly, I needed a new option for his lunches!

After making the pizza dough several times, and making extra to put into the freezer, and playing with the gluten-free flatbread (substitute for the traditional Naan, as I posted in the Dal Makhani recipe), I suddenly had an idea!  What if I just spread the pizza dough into a sheet pan and baked it??  It would then come out in a uniform shape which I should be able to cut into squares and then put the sandwich fixings between two squares... in a similar manner as Foccacia bread.

Sounded Brilliant!  As most of my ideas do sound that way in the beginning, but they have a way of flopping and becoming quite dull after the implementation every now and again.   Why not give it a try?  The recipe I decided to use was the Soft, Fluffier Buckwheat Pizza Crust because I am all about have one recipe with multiple uses...

When mixing the dough, I doubled the recipe that I posted in the Soft, Fluffier Buckwheat pizza Crust so that it would fill the pan about half way.  After mixing it and letting it rest for 20 mins or so, I greased a half sheet pan with some butter and poured the batter into it, spreading it out evenly.  I decided to bake it at 400 degrees instead of the 475 used for the pizza, simply because it was thicker and a bigger pan, I was worried the higher temp would cause it to burn on the bottom before it finished cooking through.


 Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Flatbread
After about 15-20 mins, my new "sandwich" bread was finished.  Just as I thought...  Simply Brilliant!  It worked beautifully!  The top had begun to crack slightly, but it was firm to the touch and underneath was delicious golden brown.  I let it cool in the pan, and then sliced it into about 10 some what square shaped pieces, keeping them as equal as possible (you can't have a good sandwich if both sides don't line up nicely you know!).   Another great thing about this is you can cut it whatever size you want.  I like to cut it to fit into a Rubbermaid sandwich container for the ease of packing lunches.  The first sandwich built on this fabulous bread was a ham, cheese, mustard, and potato chips.  We use the Hormel Naturals ham since it has no gluten, nitrates, nitrites etc... and the chips... that is for the crunch!

Go ahead...  Pile just a little more on the flatbread...  and actually enjoy your gluten-free, egg-free sandwich!

YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment